Milford expected to re-sign with Broncos

Brisbane five-eighth Anthony Milford is poised to sign a multi-million dollar four-year contract extension with the NRL powerhouse in the coming days.

长沙夜网

Broncos CEO Paul White says the club expect a decision from the highly sought after playmaker early next week, after the 22-year-old reportedly shunned interest from Melbourne to accepted a $4 million deal.

The Storm are desperate for a marquee half to replace departing No.7 Cooper Cronk and offered Milford a deal worth a reported $1.2 million a year.

Milford’s Broncos deal is sweetened by the capacity for third party deals and the club’s dominance of the Brisbane sporting market.

Months after halfback Ben Hunt announced he will play for St George Illawarra next year, it was feared Brisbane would lose a second playmaker when the Storm made a play for Milford.

However, White all but confirmed that Milford, who will play for Samoa in Saturday’s Pacific Test against England, has agreed to stay at Red Hill.

“We’re not in a position to declare that yet,” White said on Friday.

“Anthony will get through his game on the weekend and hopefully we’ll be in a position to make an announcement or know one way or another early next week.”

White said the Broncos were not surprised by the interest in Milford’s services but were always confident of retaining him.

“These things are never easy processes and particularly when they’re marquee players,” White said.

“We acknowledge there’s a real developing market out there for those sorts of players and Anthony fits that bill.

“We’ve worked really hard through this negotiation process to make sure that Anthony remains at our club and we’re happy with the work we’ve done and we’re happy with the progress.

“We’re looking forward to him re-signing with our club.”

Milford’s expected re-commitment will allow the club to turn their focus on retaining other off-contract stars, including skipper Darius Boyd, Alex Glenn, Jordan Kahu and James Roberts.

Bridge funds on Tassie’s budget watchlist

Happy with the Turnbull government’s latest schools funding model and satisfied with a decade-long commonwealth sponsorship of a major hospital, Tasmania’s Liberal government is unlikely to be optimistic about additional big-ticket items in the federal budget.

长沙夜网

The only state or territory to welcome Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s Gonski 2.0 scheme, championing an extra $200 million over 10 years compared to what was on offer for the state 12 months ago, Tasmania was quick to praise the schools deal this week.

And April’s promise of a $730 million cash injection to pay for the northern Mersey Community Hospital for the next decade has eased what’s been a chronic funding headache for the island state’s administration for several years.

“The government is anticipating a ‘no surprises’ budget that locks in recent commitments like … education funding and the Mersey Hospital funding deal,” a spokesman told AAP, also noting the recent $150 million commonwealth pledge for redeveloping the University of Tasmania’s northern campus.

But there are still a few key infrastructure items that Tasmania will be hoping make the cut for budget 2017/18.

In 2016, Infrastructure Australia named a specialist science, technology, engineering and maths university research and training facility in Hobart as one of the nation’s most significant future projects.

The University of Tasmania is keen on the idea but would be seeking federal dollars to co-sponsor the project.

Canberra has previously agreed to fund a new $535 million four-lane Bridgewater Bridge over Hobart’s Derwent River with construction due to start in 2019-20 and it should get a mention in the financial plan.

There’s an outside chance Tuesday’s budget could include funds for a new Launceston water treatment plan, for which federal Labor pledged $75 million in the lead up to the last election.

There should be previously announced funding for ongoing irrigation schemes and a rail freight corridor, while a federal pledge for a second Bass Strait electricity cable seems unlikely.

Tasmania’s opposition leader Rebecca White said the state was still reeling from $2.1 billion in cuts from the coalition’s 2014 budget.

“The federal government has done nothing to help fix Tasmania’s water and sewerage challenges,” Ms White told AAP.

“Labor committed $75 million to fix Launceston’s storm water problem. That commitment should be matched as a first step by the Turnbull government.”

The Labor leader said Tasmania was in desperate need of further education funding, adding that the state government was wrong to accept the latest schools deal.

Furthermore, public hospitals in Hobart and Launceston continued to operate under enormous pressures which could be eased by federal funding, Ms White added.

TASMANIA’S KEY FEDERAL BUDGET WISHLIST:

* Promised $730 million cash injection to pay for the northern Mersey Community Hospital

* $535 million four-lane Bridgewater Bridge over Hobart’s Derwent River

* University of Tasmania wants funds to co-sponsor a specialist science, technology, engineering and maths university research and training facility

* Funds for a new Launceston water treatment plan, ongoing irrigation schemes and a rail freight corridor

SVG sets Perth Supercars practice record

Defending series champion Shane van Gisbergen has vented his frustration to set a new lap record and dominate Supercars practice at Perth.

长沙夜网

The flying Kiwi clocked 54.77 seconds on the tight 2.4km Barbagallo Raceway circuit, shaving 0.21 of a second off Holden teammate Jamie Whincup’s 2011 practice mark.

Series leader – Ford’s DJR Team Penske driver Fabian Coulthard – was also under Whincup’s old record in 54.79 to finish second fastest in Friday’s final 45 minute practice session.

Six-time series champion Whincup was third quickest.

Van Gisbergen is second in the standings after three rounds, just seven points behind Coulthard, but claims he had arrived in Perth with a point to prove.

“I am pretty frustrated with my year so far,” he said.

“Apart from (opening round) Adelaide, the other rounds have been really crazy.

“I am disappointed but I am still second (in standings).

“It shows we have pretty high standards from last year and need to put it all together again.”

Remarkably, Van Gisbergen’s effort helped him jump from fourth-last in the 26-strong field to the top in the dying moments of the day’s second practice session.

Mark Winterbottom was fourth fastest, while Ford teammate Chaz Mostert completed the top five.

Coulthard had a spring in his step after staying in touch with Van Gisbergen, in front of legendary team boss Roger Penske.

The US motorsport giant is in Perth for his annual visit to Australia and watched first hand as Coulthard maintained his hot 2017 form.

Penske was seen holding an inspirational chat to his troops in the team garage after final practice on Friday.

“It was a pretty cool moment,” Coulthard said.

“For him to give us a pep talk gives the boys confidence.

“It’s early days but to be leading the championship and to have Roger come into town is perfect timing.

“He is rapt with how the team is going but we have a long way to go.”

The sole red flag on Friday emerged midway through the final practice session after 16-year-old Alex Rullo tussled with Whincup, locked it up and found the sand on turn seven.

Holden’s Garth Tander was fastest in the opening practice session in 55.64 but was only 19th quickest on Friday afternoon.

The opening 120km race will be held on Saturday.

Qualifying starts at 1355 AEST.

Collie WA mine owners in receivership

Workers in the West Australian coal mining town of Collie face an uncertain future after the Indian owners of the Griffin mine went into receivership.

长沙夜网

It comes on the same day it was separately announced a power station would close.

PricewaterhouseCoopers have been appointed receivers and managers at Indian-owned Lanco Resources.

The mine has posted large financial losses since Indian conglomerate Lanco Infratech paid what is now regarded as a grossly inflated figure of $740 million for it in 2010.

Lanco Infratech has high debt problems and is fighting KordaMentha in court claiming it was misled into paying that price.

Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union WA secretary Steve McCartney said workers were worried about losing their jobs and entitlements, on top of losses they had already suffered due to an ongoing pay dispute.

Mr McCartney said he wanted government intervention to protect the workers, saying the company was exploiting loopholes in the Fair Work Commission system to avoid paying workers their rightful entitlements,.

The Griffin workers take home pay and redundancy entitlements were controversially cut by 43 per cent after the Fair Work Commission ruled in March that employees should go back on an award rate.

However there are now fears the mine will be shut, leaving only the Chinese Yancoal-owned Premier Coal Mine.

“We are all paying for their (Lanco Resources) incompetence. They definitely paid too much for the mine,” Mr McCartney told 6PR radio.

“The workers have got punished but their mishandling of the mine since they took over has been a disaster as well.

“This company going into receivership is the worst possible outcome for these workers, and it is unacceptable that the accrued entitlements they rightfully earned at $62 an hour will now be paid out at only $30 an hour.”

It was also revealed on Friday that Collie’s ageing Muja AB coal-fired power station would be closed, despite the former Liberal National government spending $310 million to revive it in recent years.

Premier Mark McGowan said the decision to close the power station for commercial reasons was made by the previous government, which also chose to refurbish it.

“So now the megawatts have been withdrawn from the system at huge cost to taxpayers,” he told reporters.

One in 16 refugees to be paid for by private sponsors

The federal government will use next Tuesday’s Budget to announce it will shift the costs involved in settling 1000 refugees onto private companies, community groups and individuals.

长沙夜网

SBS World News can reveal the changes to the humanitarian program will take effect from July 1, 2017, with the government calling on the business sector to make their “corporate social responsibility obligations matter”.

“The idea is of course to have that support there provided by business groups who may know refugees in different camps, who they want to bring out [those] who have the skills,” Assistant Immigration Minister Alex Hawke told SBS.

Any business or community group wanting to sponsor refugees under the scheme would be required to cover associated costs for their first year in Australia including airfares, medical screening; and all visa application charges.   

“You hear regularly in the public domain businesses say, ‘well the government should help refugees more.'”

They would also need to foot the bill for any settlement services on arrival but the government denies it’s all about saving money.

“You hear regularly in the public domain businesses say, ‘well the government should help refugees more and we want to help them help refugees more’,’’ Mr Hawke said.

But the changes to the humanitarian program will help the budget bottom line, with sponsoring the most vulnerable people entering Australia costing about $19,000.

In addition, sponsors will also need to contribute $20,000 to a “welfare bond”, a fund the government said it will draw from should the refugees end up relying on welfare. 

 “What it looks like from the outside is, this is a cost saving measure,”

Henry Sherrell, a research officer at the Development Policy Center of the Australian National University, wants to know why the government isn’t offering additional humanitarian places, and instead taking from its yearly target of 16,250 places.

“I think it’s really troubling if these places come out of the existing humanitarian program because what it looks like from the outside is, this is a cost saving measure,” Mr Sherrell said.  

“This is basically the government saying we don’t want to be responsible for the costs associated with these 1000 people.” 

Related

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull flagged the proposal in 2016 during the Leaders’ Summit in New York, and this implementation basically extends the trial program, which has been in place for three years.

Sherak Dawood is the beneficiary of the government’s pilot program.

The Christian refugee was kidnapped by extremists in Iraq and told he had three choices: leave the country, convert to Islam, or be killed. He chose the former.

He ended up in a Jordanian refugee camp before Melbourne’s Assyrian community paid all the costs associated for Mr Dawood and his family to come to Australia earlier this year.

“I need to build our life and to make my kids live in peace and make for them the good life,” the father of three said.

Alex Hawke on the humanitarian program changes

0:00 Share

The opposition said it welcomes the chance for the community to help with the refugee intake but has slammed the way the government is making the changes.

It wants to see the detail but the government doesn’t to see Labor’s support because the scheme does not need a parliamentary vote to be implemented.  

“It is the Turnbull Government’s responsibility to meet the costs of Australia’s humanitarian program – not the community and business sectors,” Shadow Minister for Immigration Shayne Neumann said.

He added that if the Coalition really wanted to support the humanitarian refugee program the reforms would see a net increase in the overall intake.

“Which is why Labor took to the election a policy of increasing the annual humanitarian intake to 27,000 by 2025,” Mr Neumann said.